Waste and Recycling
Residences north of State Hwy 54 have garbage pickup every Friday with recycling every other week.
Residences on State Hwy 54 and south have garbage pickup every Tuesday with recycling every other week.
Holidays affect the schedule by delaying pickup until the following day. The pickup and recycling schedule for 2018 is available here.
Please set out no later than 4:00 AM on the collection date and no more than 24 hours in advance. Residents are encouraged to remove their garbage carts from the road right-of-way (except on pickup days) to avoid snow plow damage and vandalism.
Many state and federal laws regulate what may be placed with your solid waste. We appreciate your assistance with the following guidelines:
- *No appliances or furniture. Includes refrigerator, stove, dishwasher, washer/dryer, freezer, dehumidifier, furnace, hot water heater, microwave, air conditioner.
If you wish to dispose of appliances, furniture, or other large items, please contact the Portage County Solid Waste Department.
- No Yard Waste (brush, leaves, grass clippings, etc.)
- *No liquids and No chemicals. No oil based paint, thinners, insecticides, herbicides, liquid cleaners, lacquers, gas, motor oil, etc. Dried latex paint may be disposed of with the trash.
- *No recyclables in trash. Glass containers, aluminum cans, #1 through #7 plastics, tin cans, newspaper, magazines and corrugated cardboard should be recycled.
Recycling reduces the volume of trash needing landfill space and helps control your waste disposal cost!
- No ashes.
- No oil filters or oil absorbents.
- *No tires.
- No Auto Batteries.
- *No Electronics. Includes televisions, computers, monitors, cellular phones, copiers, printers, DVD players, VCRs, etc.
- Individual containers of recycled items (or any other container handled by a driver) should be limited to 30 gallons in volume and 50 pounds or less.
- Trash carts have a weight limit of roughly 100 pounds. Waste trucks lift the cart with a mechanical arm. If your cart is too heavy for the arm to lift, the driver will not be able to empty your container!
*See the Portage County Recycling Guide for additional information
The Town of Lanark contracts with Advanced Disposal for waste and recycling collection. If you have questions or concerns about your service, Advanced Disposal has asked that you contact them directly:
Dale Marth, Municipal Marketing & Government Affairs Manager
Telephone: 1-888-271-7176 (Extension 723)